Sunday, December 20, 2009

Wonder of wonders...

miracle of miracles...yes that's right, my son has finally began exploring new foods!! (applause applause) It is still a process that is taking quite a lot of time, but this past week there were two jaw dropping moments for Jorge and I as we watched our picky little eater eat things that he has never before tried and/or liked. The first was in the beginning of the week, I think it was Monday or Tuesday. We were sitting at the table eating breakfast, Jorge and I had made some fried eggs for ourselves and Josiah sudden;y pointed to my egg and said "Mummy, this?" So I said ok, gave him a little piece, expecting him to spit it out..and he ate it and asked for more! Well to make a long story short he ended up eating almost three fried eggs to himself...I shared and ate a little bit but he ate most of them. Weird. The second was yesterday while we were at a wedding of a girl from the church. They were serving some snacks and came out with small cheese empanadas and chips, and also small pieces of cheese cut into little bite sizes. Well Josiah took to the empanadas right away...surprising, and ate like 4 or 5 of them....then I offered him a piece of cheese and he ate it...and kept asking for more...he ate tons of cheese and empanadas and chips..not the healthiest foods in the world, haha but it was cool to see him trying new things again:)

On a side note: As I was writing the first paragraph, Jorge and I were sitting here on the bed and Josiah had been in the kitchen for a few minutes. Suddenly Jorge said "my son is too quiet", and I said "oh now, you're right.." Jorge peeked out the bedroom door and called me over to look. Lo and behold, we found Josiah standing in the kitchen with his face, hands and arms covered in cream, (kind of like whipping cream, but it is one that you put on deserts), spreading it evenly all over his body...HAHAHA! It was one of those moments that was so funny you couldnt even be bothered with getting upset. I grabbed my camera and we got some good pictures, as we walked into the kitchen towards him asking him what he was doing, he began calmly explaining to us (in his own language) what he was doing and why...it was sooo funny! He had a big smile on his face and was telling us (I think) how we should be proud of him because he was rubbing the cream in so well on his arms..haha. He was very proud of himself, that was quite clear. Anyways, that's my boy for ya!!

Well, today has been a day of some rest but mostly just organizing and doing housework. This morning I went to the church with Jorge and Josiah as we had the children's Sunday School. I taught them the song "Jesus loves me" with the actions and then had to come home as Josiah began to put on a show and freak out, crying...why he does we will never know, but there it is.

When I got back home I did some laundry, then cleaned up a bit and began making lunch. I made Dad's fried potatoes (and they came out really good this time:) and chicken, but then we also recieved some empanadas from a family in our church, so we had a wide variety for lunch.

After cleaning up and putting some spices in my fridge magnet spice holders, Jorge and I went through the items that were brought by the people of the church for their "first harvest" that they do every month. Every month the church has something called the "first harvest" where people bring a portion of their groceries and/or crops to the church and we put them all together and make a couple of bags for the families in the church who do not have much, or are struggling to make ends meet. This is something that is found in the Bible, in the old Testament. The people here are so faithful with this, they say that the first of everything that they receive is always for the LORD. To the point that many people bring us their first crops or a portion of their food from their gardens, eggs, etc. we are very blessed by this effort and it is a real testimony to me of how we, as Christians ought to live.

Anyways, I need to get going here, to get ready for church. Tomorrow is our day off and we will most likely be going to Concepcion for the day..so I may write again tomorrow night or in the next few days.. bye for now:)

10 comments:

  1. Good for Josiah!! Finally! I figured it couldn't be much longer before he put his pickiness behind him and just launched into trying new things... I hope that "stage" is behind him now.

    Too funny about the cream!! I can't wait to see the photos. At times like that you just have to laugh and take pics. I bet he was really proud of himself! Had he tasted it at all? Or was he just putting it on like lotion?

    I'm glad you've mastered the art of fried potatoes seeing as it was one of your favorites.

    That's wonderful about the first fruits - such a Biblical example. If we did that in our North American churches, we wouldn't have families having to go to the food bank. I remember one speaker saying once that if all Christians tithed as they should, we would not need to rely on welfare or government assistance within the church...

    Thanks for sharing! Love you,

    Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your title for this blog...I am SO going to watch Fiddler on the Roof before I leave on outreach!!!

    Good job Josiah...turning into a big boy and eating new foods! That's so good and so big boyish..oh no! Stop him!! Just kidding!

    Ok..we have heard twice (once on Facebook and now on here) about Josiah and the cream...now..we want to see pictures!!

    It's so good that you are blogging Sister..I love reading what is happening in Chile and with you guys and the church. I love you and am so proud of you!

    KB

    PS - Yes, I deleted my first comment (the perfectionist came out!)...blame Mum, it's her fault!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS - Ok..the real perfectionist in me...also wants you to notice the time it says I wrote this comment...IS A LIE!! I wrote it at 9:30am on the 22nd of December..boy it irrates me the way the time is always wrong!!

    It does that on my posts on blogger and I always go and make sure I manually change the date and time to the actual time I posted..I hate that it is wrong! How does it get to decide what time it is!! haha

    Sorry...little rant came out there...again, blame Mum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be our time, KB...cause it's 12:40 in the morning of December 22nd here and if you wrote it about an hour ago, that's what it was.

    Why are we perfectionists? It makes it so difficult when you can't delete your own comments (a feature that I LOVE on FB...ha ha)

    And, yes, Ruley, photos please....

    ReplyDelete
  6. OKAY....WAIT!!! It messed up my time as well!!! What the heck??

    ReplyDelete
  7. But I didn't write it an hour ago...I just had written it!!!!!!!

    LOL..it messed up your time! See - it just does it's own thing..how silly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Weird...really weird... Sorry, Mandy, we're kind of using your comments page as a sounding board. I hope you don't get too excited when you see all the comments (I think this is #8)...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was thinking the same thing!!!

    Ruley...you are going to get all excited about the comments and it's just Mum and I back and forth..(she is working nights..it's what we "do") this is how we chat...thousands and thousands of miles away from each other!! LOL!

    Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay...we'd better quit, KB...it's not fair to Mandy...LOL.

    ReplyDelete